REMINDER – SCHOOL WILL BE CLOSED ON THURSDAY 16TH NOVEMBER
Khan’s Book Fair – Monday 13th & Tuesday 14th November
Khan’s Book Fair is taking place in school this week. The children will have an opportunity to browse the huge array of books on display on Monday and then purchase any they may pick out on Tuesday. Children need to bring money in with them on Tuesday 14th in a named purse/envelope and they will get assistance from the Parents Association volunteers. Parents are welcome to come in themselves and browse the books at any stage. The Model School gets a percentage of sales which we will use to update our school library.
Parent Teacher Meetings – Wednesday 15th November
It is that time of year again for Parent Teacher meetings. Teachers sent out appointment letters before mid-term. Parents that have two or more children and need to see a couple of Teachers have been allocated times on Wednesday evening.
In order to facilitate the meetings classes will finish at 2.30pm on Wednesday 15th so please arrange to pick your child up at this time. We will advise the buses and after school clubs of the change. Prompt pick up is appreciated.
Retirement – Pat Brett
We say a fond farewell to our Caretaker Pat Brett, after over 25 years of service in The Model School. To mark his retirement we would like to make presentations to him, one of which will be from the children. If you would like to contribute to the presentation from the Model School children please send money in a sealed envelope to Carol in the office. We hope to have an Assembly in his honour in the next few weeks or when he has fully recovered from his operation.
Swimming – 2nd & 5th Classes
2nd & 5th classes (Group 2) will begin swimming sessions (8 weeks) on Tuesday 14th November. Please send in swimming fee (€45) if you have not already done so. Thank you.
Best of luck to the 6th Class Debate team in their first friendly round in the Primary School Debate competition on Wednesday.
Recycling wrappers in School lunches
To promote our Green Schools status and reduce recycling costs we have decided that the children should bring home all their plastic wrappers/yogurt cartons etc. instead of using the bins in school. Foods which have wrappers should be kept to a minimum. Wrappers and any food not eaten must be put back in the lunch box and taken home.
Healthy eating starts at home and is supported and built upon by the encouragement of healthy eating habits at school. By working as a committed team, we can create a happy healthy school for our children.
Request for Art Materials
Please send in any empty, clean cardboard toilet rolls to Room 2 for art supplies. Thank you.
Annual Christmas Charity Appeal
This year we will again be supporting a local charity called “Hats for the Homeless”. This charity helps out local homeless adults (men & women) by putting some of the following items in a covered shoebox; woolly hat, warm socks, gloves, toothbrush, toothpaste, non-aerosol deodorant, shower gel, shampoo and a bar of chocolate or sweets. We would love to get at least one shoebox per family!
Also we will collect non-perishable food items so that they can be made into hampers for local charities.
There is a lot going on from now until we break up for Christmas Holidays! Here are some upcoming dates for your diary:
- Khans Book Fair Monday 13th & Tuesday 14th November
- Parent / Teacher meetings Wednesday 15th November 3pm onwards
- School will be closed on Thursday 16th November
- 4th Class Primary Futsal soccer competition Friday 17th November
- 6th Class Heritage trip to St. Canice’s Cathedral & Bell Tower Tuesday 21st November
- Room 2 Assembly 09.20am Thursday 23rd November
- 6th Class History trip to the Kilkenny Famine Experience Tuesday 28th November
- Room 3 Assembly 09.20am Thursday 30th November
- 5th Class History trip to the Kilkenny Famine Experience Thursday 30th November
- Carol Singing in the Market Cross Thursday 8th December 6 – 7 pm
- Christmas tree festival St. Canice’s Cathedral Friday 8th – Wednesday 13th December
- Christmas Concert & PA Lunch – Friday 15th December – further details to follow
- St. Canice’s Cathedral Carol Service Sunday 17th December @ 5.00pm
- School will close at 12.10 on Friday 22nd December for Christmas Holidays
- School will re-open for Spring Term on Monday 8th January 2018.
We are delighted to welcome back Ms. Ena Kearns as Classroom Teacher in Room 1 (Senior Infants & 1st Class). She will begin on Thursday 16th November and we wish her well for the coming year.
We also welcome back another familiar face this week as Mr. Emmet Huston will be joining the Support Team on a weekly part-time basis.
The Board of Management have appointed Ray Meagher as the new school caretaker. He will take up this position on Monday 20th November and we look forward to welcoming him into the Model School community.